CPA members gathered at the new offices of Schroders to learn about heritage in the City of London and how it factors in to the development process.
Annie Hampson OBE, Chief Planning Officer and Development Director at City of London Corporation and Emily Gee, London Planning Director took members through the origins of the listing process and how it can affect developments, using plenty of examples such as Bracken House and One Poultry.
The panel discussion talked over the benefits of the listing system and highlighted how important it is for the industry to work in collaboration with Historic England. The virtues of the City’s historic environment were noted as a key feature and its heritage should be protected to safeguard the Square Mile’s unique character.
Jacob Loftus, Founder and CEO of General Projects concluded the panel session by explaining that heritage will always change throughout the generations and picked St Paul’s as a building that one day may no longer be seen in its current importance.
- Moderator: David Ainsworth – CPA President and Chief Executive at CORE
- Emily Gee – London Planning Director of Historic England
- Jacob Loftus – Founder and CEO of General Projects
- Lisa Webb – Partner at Gerald Eve
- Annie Hampson OBE – Chief Planning Officer and Development Director at City of London Corporation