Despite an unexpected night that defied most polls and as we await details of the government that will form please see below of a summary of the key seats in central London. A significant loss of last night was Gavin Barwell Minister of State for Housing and Planning and Minister for London.
The new Minister for Housing & Planning is Alok Sharma, MP for Reading West. Cities of London & Westminster MP Mark Field has been named a Minister in the Foreign Office. The capital brief has been handed to Chelsea & Fulham MP Greg Hands, a former Chief Secretary to the Treasury under George Osborne. Former Croydon Central MP Gavin Barwell had held the role, alongside the planning brief, but lost his seat before being appointed as the Prime Minister’s new Chief of Staff.
- City of London
Cities of London & Westminster – Mark Field, Conservative
Other central London constituencies which we report on through our central London Planning newsletter include:
- Camden: Holborn & St Pancras – Keir Starmer, Labour / Hampstead & Kilburn – Tulip Siddiq, Labour
- Hackney: Hackney North & Stoke Newington – Diane Abbott, Labour / Hackney South & Shoreditch – Meg Hillier, Labour
- Hammersmith and Fulham: Chelsea & Fulham – Greg Hands, Conservative / Hammersmith – Andy Slaughter, Labour
- Islington: Islington North – Jeremy Corbyn, Labour / Islington South & Finsbury – Emily Thornberry, Labour
- Kensington and Chelsea: Chelsea & Fulham – Greg Hands, Conservative / Kensington – Emma Dent Coad, Labour
- Lambeth: Vauxhall – Kate Hoey, Labour / Dulwich & West Norwood – Helen Hayes, Labour / Streatham – Chuka Umunna, Labour
- Southwark: Camberwell & Peckham – Harriet Harman, Labour / Bermondsey & Old Southwark – Neil Coyle, Labour / Dulwich & West Norwood – Helen Hayes, Labour
- Tower Hamlets: Bethnal Green & Bow – Rushanara Ali, Labour / Poplar & Limehouse – Jim Fitzpatrick, Labour
- Wandsworth: Tooting – Rosena Allin-Khan, Labour / Putney – Justine Greening, Conservative / Battersea – Marsha De Cordova, Labour
- Westminster North – Karen Buck, Labour